An inn has stood at the crossroads here since the end of the 16th century
Several areas in London are named after pubs, as are no fewer than six tube stations, including Angel in Islington. An inn had stood at the crossroads there from the end of the 16th century – in ‘Oliver Twist’, Dickens states that this is where ‘London begins in earnest’ – and by 1614 it was called the Angel, its sign showing the annunciation. The current structure with its distinctive domed turret was built by Frederick James Eedle and Sydney Herbert Meyers from 1899 to 1903 (the station opened in 1901). In 1921 it became the flagship of the Lyons Corner House restaurant chain, a pioneering fast food company, and it survived the threat of comprehensive redevelopment in the 1960s to become offices and a bank.
The angel islington plan