By continuing to use the site you agree to our Privacy & Cookies policy

AR History

The Architectural Review was founded in 1896, on the cusp of the 20th century. The cover of the first issue bore the legend ‘a magazine for the artist and craftsman’, though this subsequently became ‘artist, archaeologist, designer and craftsman’, thus firmly setting its sights on Victorian polymaths everywhere

Colin Boyne

Colin Boyne was the editor of The Architects’ Journal from 1949 to 1970 and then chairman of the editorial board of the AJ and the AR between 1970 and 1974, while both titles were still owned by the Architectural Press

Colin Rowe

Colin Rowe is a British-born but Americanised architectural historian, critic, theoretician and teacher. He is widely acknowledged as a major intellectual influence on world architecture and urbanism in the second half of the 20th century and beyond, particularly in the fields of city planning, regeneration and urban design

Ian Nairn

Ian Nairn was an architectural critic and topographer who made his name with a special issue of The Architectural Review entitled Outrage (which was later published as a book in 1959)

JM Richards

James Maude Richards was born at Epsom, Surrey, in 1907. Educated at Cambridge University, he trained as an architect at the Architectural Association, but his main career was as a writer on architecture

John Betjeman

John Betjeman was an English poet, writer and broadcaster. He worked at The Architectural Review from 1930 to 1935 as assistant editor, following the magazine’s publication of some of his freelance work

Jonathan Glancey

Jonathan Glancey cemented his career as critic as assistant editor of The Architectural Review in the 1980s, under the editorship of Peter Davey

Nikolaus Pevsner

Nikolaus Pevsner was born in Germany in 1902, and later moved to Britain where he remained for remained for the rest of his life, thoroughly embedded in its architectural community.

Paul Finch

Paul Finch, has been editor of almost all of Britain’s architectural titles: first Building Design (1983-1994), then The Architects’ Journal (1994-1999), and finally at The Architectural Review (2005-2008)

Peter Cook

Peter Cook is the founder of Archigram, and former Director of the Bartlett School of Architecture and the Institute of Contemporary Arts, London

Peter Davey

Peter Davey edited The Architectural Review from 1982 to 2005. He has written numerous books including Arts and Crafts Architecture (1997) - which definitively documented this pivotal period in English architecture - and numerous later monographs on subjects such as Wilkinson Eyre (2007) and Heikkinen & Komonen (1997)

index musique concrete

September 1990: Musique Concrete by Edward Cullinan Architects

Now under threat of demolition, we revisit the AR’s original coverage of the RMC international headquarters, one of Edward Cullinan Architects’ finest buildings

Index

January 2002: Sarah Wigglesworth Architects' Straw Bale House

Witty, imaginative and sustainable, Sarah Wigglesworth Architects bring a smile to a neglected north London site

Index

Jane Drew's work with Fry, Drew & Partners

A look back at a 1962 feature on three projects involving Jane Drew, the British Modernist whose first office had the idea of only empoloying women 

Index

Eileen Gray: Pioneer of Design, December 1972

Joseph Rykwert introduces the work of Eileen Gray in this piece from December 1972, prior to the opening of an exhibition of her work at the Heinz Gallery

Index

Interview with Charlotte Perriand

Charlotte Ellis and Martin Meade interview Charlotte Perriand on her long and illustrious career from the AR’s November 1984 issue

The AR Drawings Blog